Nothing can bring a smile to a mother's face like those three little words, "Time for bed".

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Skirt for Em


 I have been sick the last couple of days :(  I'm still under the weather, but I am tired of laying around. So, I went in my oldest daughters room and found a pair of her jeans that had holes in the knees and decided to make a skirt. Waste not, want not!!  This was super easy and only took about an hour and a half  :)




I took Em's old pants and cut them right below the pockets.
Now, I cut the fabric that I want to use as the bottom of the skirt...
You want the fabric to be about double the width of your jeans and what ever length that you want the skirt to be. I made Em's about 10 inches. Don't forget seam allowances :)
Sew the ends of the fabric together to make a circle...I used a zigzag stitch.
Don't forget to iron your seams flat!
Time to make the hemmed edge...fold half an inch and iron.
Fold again and iron..then sew.
On the end that I will make my ruffles I used the zigzag stitch again. I want a serger :(
To make the ruffles use a long stitch...
Then pull the bottom thread and the fabric will begin to bunch up. Work your way around until it matches up with the size of the jeans. Tie the bottom threads together to keep the ruffle :)

Next pin the skirt and jeans together (face to face)
And sew!!!

I made a little hairband and added a little flower to the bottom of the skirt!






Have fun recycling old items into new ones! The possibilities are endless!



No comments:

Post a Comment